Followers

Monday, September 17, 2012

A Firefly Jar

fireflies by Luiza Lazar @ deviantART


The Sunday Challenge this week at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads offered a unique idea to ponder - a firefly jar for writers, a way to bottle inspiration for later use, either through the words of others that have struck our fancy or through snippets of unfinished poems. My own version of a firefly jar is more the digital variety…eBooks of classic poetry and saved documents with page after page of my random ramblings scattered in a single folder.  I’ve decided to open my “jar” and share just a few glimpses of what has captured my imagination.

“But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;”
William Butler Yeats from When You Are Old
“I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;”
T. S. Eliot from The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock


And a few snippets of my own…
I sculpt my serenity from sandalwood and patchouli,
A natural cure that is serum to my soul
gather the scattered notes of discord
searching for common theme songs
that can blend into one world harmony.
He plays the martyr,
blameless for the chaos swirling around him.

I will be linking this up both on the Sunday Challenge page as well as for the Real Toads Open Link Monday.

8 comments:

Scarlet said...

Nice new blog ~ I like the quotes and your snippet specially the beginning lines ~

Sherry Blue Sky said...

What a beautiful and inspiring post this is. I love the quote about the "pilgrim soul".

Love that you "sculpt" your serenity from "sandalwood and patchouli." Wonderful.

Margaret said...

He plays the martyr ... And he's probably guilty for the chaos. Ha. And Yeats is hard to beat. Nice snippets.

Susie Clevenger said...

I love the second one!

Mary said...

Love your new blog, Mary; and your 'snippets' as well.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Both of your quotes are among my favourites (love that pilgrim soul). Thanks for sharing your snippets with us, Mary.

Janine Bollée said...

Didn't realize Eliot was so lighthearted at times.
Nice quote.
Your sculpting serenity strikes me as brilliant advice as well as a fine poetic statement.

Kay L. Davies said...

Taking a look around here, Mary. I've known a few "martyrs" like the one you wrote about!
K